Monday 10 August 2015

Manchester City 2015/2016 Season Preview

Manchester City kick off their 2015/2016 Premier League campaign with a trip to West Bromwich this evening. 

Manchester City vs Roma
(Via Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

I hand-picked a group of Twitter's finest City experts, bloggers, statisticians and poster-makers to preview the season ahead.

Adam (@CityAcrossPond)
Where will City finish?
City’s last four finishes – 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd…is there a pattern developing here? The optimistic City fan in me wants to say that the club will regain the title, but the safer bet is that City will finish in one of the top 2 slots for the fifth straight year.

City's player of the season?
Plenty of reasonable choices here but I’ll go with David Silva. A full summer of rest hopefully leads to another sublime campaign for the magician.

City's surprise player of the season?
I would be ecstatic if Eliaquim Managala proved all his critics wrong and was City’s best defender this season. Back-up choice would be Samir Nasri quietly returning to his best.

City's flop of the season?
Is flop the right word? I’ll go with “underachiever” or “less impactful”…Jesus Navas. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was less prominent in City’s regular starting XI and took on more of a substitute role.

Overall player of the season?
It goes against my nature to choose a non-City player so I’ll just refer to answer #2 for this one as well.

Best Premier League buy?
Difficult to say when there are over three weeks to go before the transfer window shuts, but the signing amongst the big clubs with the most potential impact is Raheem Sterling. He checks all the boxes for City – potential world class talent, positional need, playing style, lightning pace, young, home grown. I haven’t been this excited about a City signing since Sergio Aguero.

Surprise Premier League team of the season?
There’s a chance that it won’t have to be a rainy Wednesday night in February for Stoke City to put up good results this season.

Top 4?
Standard – City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United

Craig (@Perrinho)
Where will City finish?
I think City will finish in 1st place this season. A lot of people have already written us off, which suits us. We can creep in under the radar and get our title back!

City's player of the season?
From what I have seen so far in pre season, I expect Raheem Sterling to have a big season for us this year. Him linking up with Yaya, Silva and Aguero will release his full potential.

City's surprise player of the season?
For me, our surprise of the season will also be Raheem Sterling. A lot of people expect him to flop, either due to the huge pressure of the price tag, or because they don’t rate him that highly. I think he will prove a lot of doubters wrong this year, and justify his price tag.

City's flop of the season?
I hate to say it, but Vincent Kompany. I can’t quite explain why his performances have dropped, but we look so much more solid with Demichelis and Mangala. I would like to see Denayer promoted to partner Mangala, and see which Belgian comes out on top.

Overall player of the season?
Pogba. We’re still signing him right? In all seriousness, I am going to go with Alexis Sanchez. With a season under his belt now, I think he will kick on and be the player of the season.

Best Premier League buy?
With a long way to go in the transfer window, it’s hard to say right now. However, so far the best buy for me is Petr Cech. He will win them enough points to make them genuine title contenders.

Surprise Premier League team of the season?
My surprise team of the season is not one that will surpass expectations, but rather one that will not meet expectation. Chelsea are my surprise team of the season. I expect them to not only not retain their title, but also finish some way of the top. Much like we have done in both our defending seasons.

Top 4?
City, Arsenal, United, Chelsea

Chelsea v Arsenal - FA Community Shield
(Petr Cech could prove to be a game-changing signing for Arsenal - image via Jamie McDonald/Getty Images)

John (@Dassed)
Where will City finish?
I can see the title race being very close, but as it stands, I'd say 3rd. If we'd signed Pogba I would have tipped us to win the title. I think we'll see many of the same problems we saw last season with the centre of our midfield and our defence and they'll be the problems that stop us from going all the way.

City's player of the season?
Sergio Aguero. If he doesn't get injured at any point this season, I can see him scoring over 30 goals in just the league alone. With players like Silva, Sterling and possibly De Bruyne behind him he'll be unstoppable. 


City's surprise player of the season?
Raheem Sterling. There's been lots of questions about how much we paid for him considering how little experience he has in the Premier League, but I think he'll prove any doubters wrong. He thrived in the Liverpool team that nearly won the league in 13/14, providing for players like Suarez and Sturridge, so it's scary to imagine how good he could be when he's surrounded by players like Aguero and Silva.

City's flop of the season?
Jesus Navas (provided that he doesn't leave before the end of the transfer window). He's just an utterly frustrating player. He can't cross, he can't pass, he can't shoot. He can't really do much. I think now that we've signed a winger who's actually good at football in Sterling, we'll realise how bad Navas actually is. He's the weak link in our attack and will lose us points, so I hope that the singing of Sterling and potential signing of De Bruyne means that he'll be used far less this season.

Overall player of the season?
I'm going to go with Sergio Aguero again. If he has the season that I think he'll have, I can't see any player in the league coming close.

Best Premier League buy?
This is hard to choose, but I'm going to say Raheem Sterling. I know he's only young so he's not expected to fit in the team and be as good as proven players like Silva, but I think he'll fit in really well and have a great season. I also think Depay and Darmian will be great signings for United, and despite his pretty awful debut I think Petr Cech will turn out to be a good signing for Arsenal.

Surprise Premier League team of the season?
Crystal Palace. Cabaye is an amazing signing for them, and they have a strong starting XI. I wouldn't be surprised if they finished close to the Europa League spots.

Top 4?
I predicted the top four before the season began, but after watching Chelsea draw and Arsenal lose it'd be easy to change my mind. However, I'll stick with my original predictions.

1) Chelsea
2) Arsenal
3) City
4) United

Melbourne City v Manchester City
(Concerns exist over whether Jesus Navas can have any real impact on City's 2015/2016 campaign - via Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Adam (@Dembe_MCFC)
Where will City finish?
Disposing of teams in the bottom half of the table has been an issue for City under Pellegrini and if we can remedy that problem, the title is definitely in reach. If we can't, it could be a low as third for us without a solid left-full back and a defence lacking confidence.

City's player of the season?
Difficult to look past Aguero or Silva. Sterling will certainly bring something different and exciting to the table, but his impact will depend somewhat on how he links up with the pair. Yaya Toure is another who I see having a good season. It was tough for him last term, but I expect him to bounce back.

City's surprise player of the season?
I hope to God it will be Mangala. The Frenchman is a Jekyll and Hyde type of character who often struggles alongside Kompany yet performs well coupled with Demichelis. Unfortunately for Mangala, the captain won't be dropped and that partnership will be forced to develop an understanding. If it fails, young Jason Denayer is definitely capable of coming in and calming things.

City's flop of the season?
Vincent Kompany. A club legend, a fantastic captain and a terrific ambassador for the club, but his best days look to be behind him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Overall player of the season?
David Silva is a magician and I speak for most City fans when I say I'd love to see him get some official recognition. He'll be instrumental in any title challenge we mount.

Best Premier League buy?
Petr Cech will prove to be a magnificent signing. Arsenal have been crying out for a top goalkeeper for years now - it's been a thorn in their pursuit of silverware - and before last season, Cech was the best keeper in the league. Poor against West Ham but he'll come good.

Surprise Premier League team of the season?
West Ham. I have the benefit of hindsight after watching them dismantle Arsenal, but they've bought well and have a very capable manager in Bilic. Payet is an exciting player, too.

Top 4?
City, Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal

Lloyd (@lloyd_scragg)
Where will City finish?
2nd. Aside from the anticipated arrival of Kevin De Bruyne, I still think we’re one short, and unfortunately, I think it’ll tell across the season. Our attacking options are undoubtedly the best in the league, but the team just lacks a bit of balance, for me. Left back remains a real problem area, and I have reservations about going into the season with only 4 central midfielders.

City's player of the season?
Barring injury, it’ll obviously be Sergio Aguero. He’s flirted with the prospect of bagging 30 Premier League goals for a few seasons now, and I think this could be the year he breaks his duck. An honourable mention to Raheem Sterling though, who I think will excel, and is a superb signing.

City's surprise player of the season?
I don’t think it’ll prove to be a surprise to some, but I think Jason Denayer will properly establish himself this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s regularly in the team by the end of the season, he’s so calm under pressure for such a young defender.

City's flop of the season?
Again I don’t think this will surprise many, but I honestly think we may have seen the best of Vincent Kompany. Due to his stature at the club, sentiment often tarnishes pragmatism, with many fans insistent he’ll get back to his best, because he’s Vincent Kompany, but the signs of improvement simply aren’t there. This season will prove to be the watershed moment for our captain, if he can’t make any tangible progress after returning to pre-season training two weeks before the rest of the squad, then I fear we could be faced with a very difficult situation.

Vincent Kompany
(Are Vincent Kompany's best years behind him? - Image via Getty Images)

Overall player of the season?
Sergio Aguero. He’s the best striker in the league, no questions. If we can ensure he starts 90% of our Premier League games, much like Liverpool did with Suarez in 2013/14, our chances of lifting the title will increase dramatically, but I think that goes without saying.

Best Premier League buy?
Yohan Cabaye. He’s an unbelievable signing for Palace, which perfectly illustrates the growing overall strength of an already very competitive Premier League. Dimitri Payet and Andrew Ayew are equally brilliant signings for their respective clubs; Champions League quality players at mid-table Premier League sides.

Surprise Premier League team of the season?
United, I don’t think they’ll do as well as everyone thinks! Another trophyless season for the "Gaalacticos”…

Top 4?
Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United.