Tuesday 18 March 2014

Tuesday's MCFC Transfer News

According to Italian transfer guru Gianluca Di Marzio of Sky Italy, Manchester City are the latest team to enter the race for Arsenal full-back Bacary Sagna. The Frenchman's contract is due to expire in the summer and with the player seemingly reluctant to seal a new deal with the Gunners, he has welcomed interest from other top Premier League clubs. Inter Milan were rumoured to have been leading the chase for the defender, but recent reports suggest Sagna would prefer to stay in England. Liverpool are also keen on the 31-year-old.

However, one player who is very unlikely to wear the sky blue of City any time soon is Lionel Messi. Outrageous reports linked the Argentinian genius to the club only last month, but after becoming Barcelona's all time top scorer on Sunday, the 26-year-old has reiterated his desire to retire at the club say the Express.

"I intend to retire here at Barcelona'', said Messi.

"As long as people want me, I will stay, I am happy here."

(Lionel Messi netted a hat-trick at the weekend to reach a record breaking 371 goals for Barcelona)

"I am very proud at being in the history of such an important and big club.

"The important thing is that this team keeps on making history, this group has been doing wonderful things, winning everything, and deserves to keep on doing important things."

Portuguese newspaper O Jogo report that Manchester City, along with 12 other clubs, sent scouts to watch Manchester United target William Carvalho in Sporting Lisbon's 1-0 win over FC Porto on Sunday. The 21-year-old holding midfielder has been heavily linked to City's arch-rivals this year but David Moyes' side move for the player could now be in jeapordy.

(Sporting Lisbon have valued Carvalho at around £20m)

In Other News
In other news, Javi Garcia has insisted that he is happier at Manchester City following early criticism from supporters. The Spaniard suffered a wobbly start to life in Manchester but appears to have settled under the guidance of new manager Manuel Pellegrini. 
In an interview with the Daily Star, Garcia said he has aimed his focus at performing on the pitch.

(Javi Garcia claims to be much happier at the club)

"I try to hear nothing from the fans.

"Maybe six months ago, 10 months ago, people maybe didn't say anything good to me and now I try to do my job.

"Now maybe the fans are happier with me, but I just try to do my job, and I try to do the same things I did six months ago. I feel better now in the country, in the team and in the club."